Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: What To Do With 416-8Z Woofers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member dc270's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2003
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    What To Do With 416-8Z Woofers

    Anybody have box plans drawn up for these woofers. I know they came from Valencias, would be curious to know how high you can cross them over at. I got them for $200 hope I was not skunked!

    I do have plans for an updated Model 19 design. Once I know the high end then I can better plan on what to do with them. I do not have any 511 horns to match them- hope I can use them higher than 500 hz if not them I'll just have to get creative......

    Thanks for your thought here.
    DC

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    What To Do With 416-8Z Woofers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: What To Do With 416-8Z Woofers

    800 is fine...I have seen 1200 but I would prefer 800 personally..your mileage may vary...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: What To Do With 416-8Z Woofers

    1200 Hz/2nd order is about it, so the M19's XO is a good choice if its horn system and basic box dims are used, which is a good choice for near wall locations and tune the vents in-room for best blend.

    By 'updated', so you mean Marty's single box version of it or.........?

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #4
    Junior Hostboard Member dc270's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2003
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What To Do With 416-8Z Woofers

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    1200 Hz/2nd order is about it, so the M19's XO is a good choice if its horn system and basic box dims are used, which is a good choice for near wall locations and tune the vents in-room for best blend.

    By 'updated', so you mean Marty's single box version of it or.........?

    GM
    Thanks for the reply so far- I have not found any specs on this driver to best guess the roll off characteristics so I was asking here. I knew what the specs were as Altec used them in their designs and was hoping I could stretch them out to 1.4~1.6k and use them in an "ecomowave" design. I have built the econowave design in 10" & 12" types with good success and now am wanting to push it into a 15" IF possible! Dinding that speacial driver horn combination in a waveguide design is my challenge.

    I really like the sonics from the Altec woofer, as my Model 19's 416-B's really excell there. If this is possible in a wave guide I would like to possibly attempt it. The JBL LE 14 is a very good driver for a waveguide project, but I wanted something more mainstream in a near typical 15". If it is mot reasonable to wave guide a 15" them I am happy with a typical 811 horn & B&C DE250 config. Perhaps if I slope the driver with a 18 db/oct @ 1.4 it would fall into place.....

    Thanks again for the suggestion/ reply
    DC

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: What To Do With 416-8Z Woofers

    You're welcome!

    Well, it has more BW, but it's all break-up modes scattered around the diaphragm/dust cap, so no way to match it except in average SPL on axis. It's fine for adding a bit of 'fill' through the XO BW, but it wouldn't be something I'd want to listen to with an XO this close to our most acute hearing BW centered around 2 kHz plus WGs typically need to be toe'd in and off axis response of a 15" this high up leaves a lot to be desired.

    You can of course mate a WG to a 15", it just needs to be a lot larger than the 'Econowave' to go lower to match up off axis, so a good rule-of-thumb is its acoustic mouth area should match the driver's acoustic piston area and be at least 1 WL long at the XO point or ~ the physical mouth area and length of a 511 (imagine that ).

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  6. #6
    Junior Hostboard Member dc270's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2003
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What To Do With 416-8Z Woofers

    I think I understand your acoustic physics explanation regarding the area and not so much the bandwidth. I have bever used the 511 lens, only the 811 briefly, but I am game for most anything. I honestly love the sound of these Alnico Altecs and would like to use/ compliment them in the best ways possible.

    Thanks again GM
    DC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.